welcome floss and freedom lovers and hobbyists, to a place somewhere in the middle. this is not an “open source” site but lets not call it “free software” unless you want to. its “almost libre.” (its mostly about free software though.)
i was once an open source guy, now i love free software. but i also love free culture, so i left the fsf.
free software is the one with integrity, the one thats most honest and the one that drives the hardest to be free. without those guys, we could never get there. but its also the digital equivalent of being vegan and (while i recommend a fairly constant move in their direction) i am interested in giving people a hand moving up, not just being there at the top.
open source is like… eating a salad with chicken and calling it “vegetarian.” thats just nonsense, its not really vegetarian, is it? open source makes compromises which appeals more to the masses, though it makes too many. however “libre” you are trying to be, staying ahead of the open source “movement? group? initiative?” seems like a better place to start. even osi co-founder bruce perens seems to think so. im with that guy!
but while i am sometimes critical of the fsf, they dont deserve the smear tactics and propaganda attacks theyve received over time. they are the good guys, and they have a terrible habit of being right. no ones perfect and no ones right all the time, but if youre going to malign the free software movement, its time to get fair and informed. theres a lot of nonsense out there, and thats not what “almost libre” is about…
except when it is! this site is about:
- stupid things happening in the floss world
- wonderful things happening in the floss world
- free software
- a debate with more honesty and more info, less misinformation (we hope.)
a bonus would be a censorship-free aspect to the whole thing. look around the net these days, everything is censored for your safety, for your feelings, for compliance, for whatever. sadly this is not the platform to be free of censorship. but if you can recommend some legal means of being less censored, thats an important issue as well. if this were a censorship-free zone, it wouldnt use 3rd-party hosting.
like so many places that try to make promises about fairness, this one tries to cover some issues that have fallen through the cracks or been ignored too long. its biased, its imperfect, it will hopefully be fun and/or useful. enjoy– and if you really like it, chime in!
special thanks go to:
richard stallman, bruce perens, linus torvalds,
free software founder– free software lover– free software author
what, no love for torvalds? its alright, he has none for us: http://archive.is/opTBG yet he has made enough contribution to the free software world to deserve a place of significant honour. sincere thanks for the kernel, mr. torvalds.
- license for this page: cc by-sa 3.0
- stallman: author– Thesupermat from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Richard_Stallman_-_F%C3%AAte_de_l%27Humanit%C3%A9_2014_-_010.jpg
- perens: author– Friprog from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:3541705843_f896546bec_o_crop.jpg
- torvalds: author– https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds#/media/File:LinuxCon_Europe_Linus_Torvalds_03_(cropped).jpg from
- hearts: author– pixabella from https://openclipart.org/detail/21389/red-heart-shaped-border-with-little-hearts